Friday, December 3, 2010

Profile: MV Teen Super-Gardener, Sophia Falco

"We can help save the planet together. Anything is possible, but we have to start today!" -Sophia Falco

My Aunt first introduced me to gardening when she showed me her vegetable garden. After helping her, my passion about plants and the health of the planet grew. I was inspired to create my own garden; first a vegetable garden, and then of California native plants. I'm starting a tradition for my family of growing native plants, and of following in the Native American's footsteps. I am helping to keep their knowledge of medicinal plants alive by sharing it with others, by collecting seeds, and by giving seeds to my friend Zach to sow. I introduced Zach in 3rd grade to gardening. Even though he moved away in 4th grade, he took his passion with him. We both don't know anyone but each other who garden like we do. Last month I let the flowers on my native plants dry, then collected the seeds, and sent them in the mail to him. Now we both have native plant gardens.

Sophia's Lavender Bee Balm

Currently I am a sophomore at Mountain View High. Even though I am only 16, I have a gardening background of over 10 years. Three years ago I was given a garden bed filled with soil as a present. It was just for vegetables. Then over time my dad and I have expanded it into 3 beds, the rest filled with California natives. I practically took over the whole backyard! I'm lucky to live in California because I can have a vegetable garden all year round. In the summer time I grew 12 heirloom tomatoes plants that grew to about my height 5' 8'', and I bought the organic seedlings at the Farmers' Market.


Sophia’s heirloom tomatoes

I also grew sunflowers, and Hopi squash from seed, which is rare. In the winter I like to grow dragon carrots, yellowstone carrots, lettuce, kale. I purchased those seeds from Seeds of Change (available at Common Ground) because their seeds are organic. I am super excited because I just discovered a new brand of seeds – BlackBird Naturals. I received a packet of 13 different superfood seeds for my birthday; which means they all are full of nutrients, have special healing properties, and help the bees. These seeds are hard to find; so I ordered them online. I planted them for my winter garden this year. I am also growing a Goji berry tree, and a tree collard. I only use organic methods in my garden. Gardening can help save the planet, if sustainable practices are used. I amend the soil with rich compost, Happy Frog, and worm castings from my worm farm. I also want to add rock dust mineral to re-mineralize the soil because a lot of our vegetables are lacking minerals today. Soil is the foundation for all plants, and it is critical to take proper care of it. I was super excited to get my own garden because now I can make all the decisions!

Sophia's Chamois Rose Hollyhock

I am very passionate about native plants. I bought many of them at Common Ground and bought some at the fall Native Plant Society’s annual native plant sale. Many of my natives can be used for medicinal purposes and food, such as the Anise Hyssop, Coyote Mint, and Elderberry, Western Raspberry, and Huckleberry. I have many more native plants to help save the earth and to promote biodiversity. Since planting my garden it has attracted so much life full of diversity, such as bees, insects, and birds. Every living thing is interconnected. If we don't have any native plants then bees, insects, and birds suffer and the natural cycle breaks.

Sophia's Spotted Bee Balm

I will definitely continue pursuing gardening in the future because I want to help save the earth. It is my mission and dream to do so. I am especially interested in saving the rainforests, which are being destroyed at an alarming rate. There are so many medicinal plants that we haven't discovered, and the indigenous peoples' knowledge of it will be lost too – if we don't stand up to protect it. Without the rainforests the planet can't survive. I am interesting in saving endangered plants because here in California the Native American's medicinal knowledge about plants is being lost.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Sophia! Great article (ever thought about sending it to the Voice?). I passed it on the Willowgate community and my kids by the way.

Sophia said...

Thanks! I am planning on sending it to the Voice after winter break. My Aunt actually has a plot at the Willowgate Community Garden! Maybe you know her. Her name is Janice. Take care! :)